This photograph was taken in June. In March, during the nor’easter that affected the entire eastern seaboard, I was walking on the beach and saw the same sailboat. I didn’t have my smartphone with me that day in early March. The boat sat about 20 yards further inland with the bow turned 90° counterclockwise.
At the time this image was shot Dania Beach was in the middle of a dune renovation project. The heavy equipment running up and down the sand and this wreck made me think of the allied invasion of Normandy.
I decided to build a composite image and document the steps in a blog series.
Unwanted detail painted out with Clone tool.
Initial color drain from background plate using archive photograph as reference.
- Black and White Adjustment Layer (Remove color.)
- Curves Adjustment Layer (Set shadows, highlights, and midtones.)
- Noise Filter (Add grain.)
- Gaussian Blur Filter (Soften overall image.)
- Median Blur Filter (Soften edge detail.)